Our Ikea Välgjord dishwasher stopped working. When switched on, it would take a minute or so, then begin beeping (three times, then about two seconds of silence). When opened, the display showed error code 50, and the bottom LED blinked.
The manual shows error codes 10, 20 and 30 but no 50.
I found the needed information on this (Dutch) site. Error 50 might mean that the pump is somehow obstructed, possbly by a shard of a plate or (in my case) a large piece of [insert some unrecognizable piece of food here].
The solution took maybe 15 minutes, possible less than a phone call to customer support would have taken. You need:
- Torx 20 screwdriver
- Philips screwdriver
- Some rags
- Ideally a shopvac that can be used to get the water out. Otherwise: a sponge…
- Unplug the dishwasher. Seriously. Didn’t do it. Regretted that. (see below)
- Get as much of the water as possible out. Remove the filter from the bottom inside the dishwasher, then drain the water. Shopvac if possible, otherwise enjoy yourself with the sponge.
- Remove the wooden front panel: open the dishwasher. On each side of the door you’ll find a small grey plastic cover plate. Pop these off. Open the door about halfway until you can see a bolt through one of the holes. This is a torx 20. Remove these. The bottom of the front panel will come loose, so while you do this, hold the bottom of the panel up. Then slide it upwards to clear it from the dishwasher door. Try not to look at all the grime and dirt.
- Under the door, on the bottom front of the dishwasher, remove the four philips screws. Take off the metal cover. Highly professional and informative picture (just took it as a reminder of the pump position):
- At the right side you’ll see the pump, rather small. It has two blue wires coming out of a connector on the side. Remember the orientation of the pump. The pump can be removed by rotating it and pulling it backwards towards you. If there’s still water in the dishwasher (you probably cannot get everything out), water will wash out into the plastic drainpan. The float at the back will detect a water leak and the pump impeller will begin to rotate even if the dishwasher is switched off.
The pump that you’re holding in your hand.
In the tiny space underneath the dishwasher.
With cables around it.
So, you really might want to unplug the dishwasher from the start.
- Remove the obstruction.
- Reverse the above.
- Fill the dishwasher filter hole with water.
- Try it out.